Joshua A. Fields is an experienced and accomplished complex litigation and appellate attorney. Mr. Fields joined Kirtland & Packard LLP in 2005 and has been licensed in California since 2006. He brings a broad and diverse background to prosecuting lawsuits on behalf of plaintiffs. He focuses on complex litigation matters, including class action and mass action lawsuits, and has achieved up to 8-figure settlements for classes.
Over the course of his 15 plus year career, Mr. Fields has prosecuted lawsuits in a wide variety of practice areas, such as consumer protection, fraud, truth in lending, insurance bad faith, invasion of privacy, free speech, employment harassment and discrimination, and catastrophic personal injury. He has successful outcomes in trial and arbitration proceedings. Mr. Fields’ aggressive representation has resulted in sizable victories for his clients and important victories for consumers across California.
Mr. Fields has acted as lead counsel in prosecuting all phases of class action lawsuits on behalf of consumers, from initial investigation through final approval of up to 8-figure settlements. A sampling of successful victories in class action and mass action lawsuits includes:
- $10,000,000 class settlement with a national bank in lawsuit alleging violations of the federal Truth in Lending Act (TILA) and California’s consumer protection laws
- $2,900,000 class settlement with a national retailer in lawsuit alleging violations of California’s consumer protection laws
- Co-counsel at successful bellwether arbitration leading to $19,600,000 settlement in mass tort litigation for 1,300 trade school graduates alleging California consumer protection law violations
- Successful opposition, on behalf of 100 plaintiffs, to summary judgment motion, leading to a multi-million dollar settlement in mass tort litigation alleging negligence against national retailer
Mr. Fields also represents entertainers and public figures who seek to have their legal issues resolved through aggressive, yet discreet, representation.
Mr. Fields is also highly skilled in handling appellate matters. He has successfully briefed and/or argued appeals before state and federal courts of appeal in California, obtaining favorable opinions for consumers in the process. For example:
- He was the principal brief writer on Rubio v. Capital One Bank,615 F.3d 1195 (9th Cir. 2010), a successful appeal in a groundbreaking federal TILA lawsuit, which involved briefing appellate matters all the way to the United States Supreme Court
- He successfully briefed and argued the appeal in Rubenstein v. The Neiman Marcus Group, 687 Fed.Appx. 564 (9th Cir. 2017), wherein the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a federal district court’s dismissal of the plaintiff’s California consumer protection claims
- He successfully briefed and argued an appeal in an employment harassment and discrimination lawsuit before California’s Court of Appeal, which affirmed an order denying the defendant’s motion to compel arbitration, allowing his client to proceed to a successful trial court resolution
Outside of his work as an attorney, Mr. Fields enjoys playing basketball, beach sports, and traveling to remote destinations across the world.
Mr. Fields is admitted to the United States Supreme Court; the United States Courts of Appeal for the First, Second, Ninth and Tenth Circuits; the United States District Court for the Central, Northern, Eastern and Southern Districts of California; the United States District Court for the District of Colorado; and all courts of the State of California.
Mr. Fields received a Bachelor of Arts degree cum laude in History from Harvard University.
Mr. Fields received a Juris Doctorate degree, with a certificate in Environmental Law, from Tulane University Law School. During law school, Mr. Fields was a Managing Editor for the Tulane Environmental Law Journal. As a member of the Tulane Civil Litigation Clinic, he successfully represented a plaintiff with civil rights claims before the Middle District of Louisiana.
Southern California Super Lawyers (reserved for top 5% of attorneys) – 2017 to 2021
Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star (reserved for top 2.5% of attorneys under age 40) – 2009; 2014 to 2016
Wiley M. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services from the State of California Bar Association – 2004
Recent Development: Engine Manufacturers Association v. South Coast Air Quality Management District, 18 Tul. Envtl. L.J. 258 (2004)