The aftermath of a car accident is confusing, overwhelming and isolating. As experienced accident attorneys, we know that the steps you take in the ensuing days can make a big difference in your case, if you decide to pursue an injury claim. Although each situation is unique, here are 5 tips for what to do in a general accident scenario:
1. Don't admit fault. It's easy to say "I'm sorry" when you get out of your vehicle and see the other driver. It's important not to apologize or to say anything else that could imply fault. Instead, limit your communication to exchanging insurance and contact information, etc.
2. Get the medical care you need. Even if you feel fine, you may have suffered a serious injury. Brain injury symptoms in particular have a way of not showing up until a day or two later. If medical responders are at the scene, agree to an exam. You should also schedule an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.
3. Contact our attorneys as soon as possible. Once we evaluate the details of your case, we can inform you of all of your options going forward. In this way, you can decide whether to pursue an accident claim with our representation. We are committed to providing you with clear, honest and accurate information.
4. Gather any and all documentation related to your accident. Request copies of police records, medical records and any other documentation generated as a result of your car accident. These things can prove helpful if you decide to pursue an accident claim.
5. Delay requests from the insurance company until you have spoken to us. The insurance company may try to get you to agree to a settlement quickly. It's in their interest to close out your case as soon as possible. Talk to our attorneys to make sure you are getting an adequate offer, before you sign anything.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident in Redondo Beach, Torrance, or South Bay, please call Kirtland & Packard, LLP, at 310-536-1000, for a free case evaluation.