A slip and fall accident can result in several serious injuries. Injuries to the brain, neck, spine, and back often accompany these incidents. So too do broken or fractured bones and other painful and limiting injuries.
A slip and fall injury may be caused by your own actions, but it may also be the result of someone else’s negligence. Poorly maintained properties can pose several dangers and, when issues like dangerous walkways, missing handrails or safety features, inadequate lighting, and wet surfaces result in a slip and fall, victims are often entitled to compensation beyond the initial offers from insurance.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be able to recover damages for medical expenses, lost wages, and personal pain and suffering. Call Kirtland & Packard at 310-536-1000 to schedule a free consultation and learn how we can help.
What are the Stages of a Premises Liability Case?
The five major stages of a slip and fall case are:
- Preliminary Motions – Preliminary motions in a slip and fall case begin with the filing of a claim. This claim will outline the principals in the case: how injury occurred, why the property owner is at fault, and how much you believe you are owed. The defendant will then be allowed to answer your charges, which is generally done with a simple “yes” or “no” answer for each charge
- Discovery Phase – During this phase, both parties in the lawsuit try to discover as much about the case as possible. They generally do this by requesting evidence, in the form of documents, written testimony, video surveillance, and anything else connected to the case
- Pretrial Motions – Pretrial motions may be attempts to dismiss a case, compel evidence, or even to render an immediate judgment without going to trial. These may be filed by either party before the trial begins
- Settlement Conference/Mediation – Most courts require mediation prior to a trial. During this phase, the parties can attempt to work together towards an agreeable settlement. This phase can take hours or even days and, when unsuccessful, will result in a trial
- Trial – If a settlement cannot be reached, a trial will be scheduled
A bulk majority of personal injury claims settle long before heading to trial. This is often faster and, through settlement negotiations, can result in significant compensation. However, the attorneys at Kirtland & Packard are accomplished trial lawyers who prepare every case for this possible outcome and fight tooth and nail every step of the way to help victims of serious injury get the full compensation they deserve.
Each of the steps in a slip and fall case can take time and careful preparation. Call Kirtland & Packard at 310-536-1000 for a free consultation at our Redondo Beach office. We will review your claim, discuss your options, and help you decide on the most effective course forward.